Sunday, February 22, 2015

I chose to learn how to juggle a soccer ball because that was something I felt like I was always missing from the game of soccer. Whenever I played soccer with a new group of kids, I would always notice how they could juggle better than I could. When I say "juggle", I do not mean throwing soccer-balls in figure-eights with your hands. I mean keeping a soccer ball off the ground without using your arms.

Here is a video:




Juggling might seem like an unnecessarily flashy skill that serves no real purpose in the game of soccer. It is, however, great for helping players develop fundamental skills. These skills include balance, concentration, control, weak foot, and first touch

I have researched tips for improving your juggling.

Some common instructions that every guide I have found is to hold the ball, drop it, kick it back up, and catch it again. After you get good at this, you begin to kick once with each leg before catching it.

Here are some of the websites I found.

http://www.wikihow.com/Juggle-a-Soccer-Ball.

http://www.active.com/soccer/articles/5-tips-to-juggle-like-the-pros

I followed the advice of the top link (wikihow.com) and began to see slow improvements.




In the video above, I was using a slightly deflated soccer ball. This is a tip recommended by wikihow.



The bottom link (active.com) presented many tips to improve the routine that I had found on wikihow. These tips were things like

  • Keep your toe down and ankle locked, and try to hit the ball with the laces of your shoe.
  • Start with the ball in your hand, drop it to your dominant foot and hit it back into your hands. Then you can try to hit it twice with your dominant foot. Keep progressing.
I used these tips in the routine of dropping from chest height that was mentioned on wikihow.com.

On Saturday 2/20/15, I reached my goal of 150 touches. I do not mean 150 without the ball hitting the ground, I mean 150 touches total, not all at once. I do not see this as a reason to stop. I would like to get 10 touches at once by Sunday.

I already feel that my touches are getting more controlled and I am much better already at kicking the ball up with the correct amount of power.



No comments:

Post a Comment